a catalog of my honest attempts at creating a more sustainable (and affordable) lifestyle in one of america's most expensive cities. this includes, but is not limited to: urban food production, canning & preserving, cooking, natural cleaning, sewing, knitting, bartering, re-purposing, DIY, etc, etc.
Friday, July 10, 2009
i cayenne trick those squirrels
Over the past three days I've lost four tomatoes to some pesky little squirrels. In February, I attended the Rooting DC Conference where I learned about companion planting, composting, container gardening and other gardening goodies. The speaker for the container garden workshop was Liz Falk, founder of Common Good City Farm, D.C.'s largest urban garden/farm project. One thing she discussed was natural pesticides. She recommended using a concoction of water and cayenne pepper in order to ward off pests. After the first two tomatoes were destroyed, I decided to try her cayenne method. When I arrived home from work today, I found that two of my tomatoes had been snacked on, but from the looks of it, the cayenne spray worked. There were only a couple of surface bites. It looked like the squirrel tried to bite in several different places hoping the taste would not be there, but was unsuccessful. Turns out pepper spray works on humans and animals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment